Sunday, March 21, 2010

Coupon Rock Star!

So I have never been one to clip coupons. I have always thought that it is never worth that much to spend hours pouring over the Sunday paper and the online coupons, then matching them up with the weekly circulars in order to get any deal that is worth counting...more than pennies.

Well, I was inspired by Tricia's posting last week showing her amazing coupon shopping skills. Now determined to get food for free I set out on my first coupon shopping quest today. I think that I did pretty well, but know that with practice I will get better. My only struggle is that I don't want to buy stuff that we wouldn't normally eat because then I wouldn't really be saving money, would I?

With some help from MoneywiseMoms.com I was able to do a little coupon magic at Giant with their Catalia deal. This was my first purchase: 2 boxes GoGurt, 2 tubes cookie dough, 2 boxes of muffin mix, 2 boxes of toaster strudels, and one pack of YoPlus Yoplait Yogurt = $24.21. Then I used $9.91 worth of coupons and paid $14.30 plus I earned a $10 Catalina coupon for my next transaction...

This is the transaction where I struck gold! I then purchased: 1 bag Chex Mix, 1 box of Organic cereal, 1 box of Heart Smart Bisquick, 1 box of Nature Valley Granola Bars, 3 boxes of Hamburger Helper (yuck!), and 1 package of FiberOne yogurt = $20.72. Then I used $8.96 worth of coupons leaving a total of $11.76...but wait...then I used my $10 Catalina coupon from the previous purchase and paid only $1.76!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This made it okay to buy the Hamburger Helper. It is not my favorite, nor the healthiest thing to eat, but I know that Brady will eat it and it's no worse than driving through McDonald's for dinner (but much cheaper!)

This earned me another $10 Catalina coupon which I used to purchase the rest of my groceries including produce, milk, and all the regulars. That final bill game to $54.45, $13.07 in coupons, $10 Catalina Coupon which left the rest of my groceries only costing $31.71!!!!!

I then stopped in Safeway to pick up two packages of ground turkey for $1.99/package and a bag of frozen tilapia filets for only $6!

In total I got more than I would normally buy for a week's worth of groceries, and I spent less than $60!

2 comments:

Life with Gemelos said...

Great Job Bliv!! That's awesome :)

Unknown said...

Very impressive!! I have never been able to figure out how to coupon the right way. I'm like you - I don't want to buy something just because I have a coupon for it. So, I usually make my shopping list and then try to find coupons for the items I need to buy, but I always get distracted, never finish, and then forget my coupons on the way to the store anyway. ;)