Friday, January 16, 2009

Starbucks Karma

You always hear about "karma" and that what you put out into the universe always come back to you. And for everyone who watches "My Name is Earl", you know what I'm talking about. Well, just today I had an experience with karma.


Every year one of the most popular gifts for teachers has become the coveted Starbucks gift card. The whole concept is great, for only $5 you can give your teacher a great gift, and they can enjoy a high-priced, delicious cup of coffee, hot-chocolate, or a pastry that they might not go out and get on a regular basis. A little treat to look forward to the next time they drive by one of the hundreds of Starbucks locations in their town.


Brad, being an elementary school teacher, gets way better (and more) Christmas gifts from his fifth grade students than I do, and Starbucks gift cards are always among the treats that he brings home the day before break. Well, this year as he was sorting through (showing off) his boxes of chocolates, clothes, ornaments, and gift cards I told him that I was surprised that of all his gifts that there were NO Starbucks gift cards among them. How wrong I was! He had, indeed, received $55 dollars worth of Starbucks giftcards, but since HE doesn't like coffee, he gave them to his coffee-drinking co-workers (the same co-workers that definitely raked in better Christmas gifts than most middle school teachers). I admit, I was mad...I wanted those gift cards...I wanted MY cup of coffee...I needed something to off-set the les- tha- excellent Christmas gifts I had received from my students. I know ("Scrooge") definitely not the Christmas spirit.


Well, after the Starbucks incident of 2008 was far in the back in my mind, my great friend and co-worker, Tina, out of the blue gave me a giftcard for a local Italian restaurant, Agrodolce. I didn't think about it until my drive home that I had been visited by "karma". The gift card goddess had righted a wrong and balanced the universe! This is proof that all that good stuff that you put out into the universe, like free Starbucks gift cards, will come back to you. Although I am not a huge coffee drinker, I do love an occasional cup of coffee as I pass a Starbucks vendor. However, I would rather have quiet, romantic Italian dinner with my husband over a cup of coffee any day! Thanks Karma!

No comments: